Monday, January 18, 2010

Baltimore's Legendary Number Five, On the Mend...

The thoughts of Birdland this weekend are with Brooks Robinson as he is recovering from surgery.

The news was first reported on Roch's blog yesterday and it goes without saying there was an outpouring of support towards the Oriole legend as well as one of the nicest men you'll ever meet.

Orioles Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson was released from the hospital Friday after abdominal surgery on December 28.

Not many people are aware that Brooks Robinson has been dealing with a serious health issue. I'm thrilled to report that he was released from the hospital late yesterday and is doing fine.

Robinson and his family wanted to keep the matter private, which I certainly understand and respect. I'm just thankful that he's home again.

The following is a statement from No. 5, which I'm honored (and greatly relieved) to pass along to Oriole fans everywhere:

"On December 28, 2009, I had abdominal surgery. The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery. I have assured my wife Connie and my doctors that I will take it easy over the next few months.

"I thank you for the outpouring of prayers, compassion and concern."


The Baltimore Sun has more on Robinson's condition:

"The surgery was successful and I anticipate a full recovery," Robinson, 72, said in a statement issued by spokesperson Diane Hock. "I have assured my wife Connie and my doctors that I will take it easy over the next few months. I thank you for the outpouring of prayers, compassion and concern."

Hock said Robinson, who returned to his Baltimore home, considered the surgery routine, and that it is not related to the cancer issues he battled earlier this year.

In May, Robinson acknowledged at an American Cancer Society luncheon that he had been treated for prostate cancer, undergoing 39 radiation treatments.

In September, while at Camden Yards for a ceremony honoring Melvin Mora, Robinson said he was "feeling great."

The Hall of Fame third baseman's most recent hospitalization was first reported by Masnsports.com.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads