Saturday, May 1, 2010

Going forward

The Orioles hellacious April ended on a high note last night, a very high vote indeed. Miguel Tejada singled up the middle scoring Adam Jones (who had doubled to lead off the inning) giving the birds a very uplifting 5-4 victory over the Red Sox. I honestly think no one was happier in that ensuing dogpile than Adam Jones. Jones is off to the worst start of his young career coming into last night's game batting just over the mendoza-line. But after a 3 for 5 night his average bounced up about 20-points to a slightly less gut-wrenching but still vastly under-performing .223.

A wise man once said "April is the cruellest month" - there is no better way to describe the Orioles' April. The worst start since the 0-21 start in 1988, the first losing April since 1996 and (the worst part) the hope of a city crushed.

I will tell you something, people were excited for this team. People were talking, people were ready. As I walked through my neighborhood to run my errands (the benefits of living in one of the most awesome neighborhoods of the city) I usually have some sort of O's covering on. This usually garners me little attention, but this past March was a different story. People were stopping me on the street wanting to talk baseball. Strangers and neighbors alike were completely jazzed, some would even say giddy, over the prospect of this team. Even after the poor start in Tampa Opening Day at the park was electric, Pratt Street was overflowing in orange and black. I have been to many opening days including the last six-straight and I can honestly say that this past opener was the biggest celebration I have ever seen. People want this team, Baltimore is aching for a winning team, they are quivvering in anticipation for their Orioles to return to prominence.

But then - April happened.

>>> Read More

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads