Saturday, February 16, 2008

The World of Jay Payton; The Rundown...


Jay Payton isn't sure how long he'll be in Baltimore.

Honestly, I don't know if he came into the situation fully aware of Baltimore's struggles or if he signed hoping he'd have somewhere to play everyday, but I figured that he was not happy in an O's uniform. Whether or not, he stays, I think he's better off going into a scenario more suited for him -- on a winning team where he plays semi-regularly.

"I could be here all year, I could be here half the year, I could be here another five days," he said Saturday upon his early arrival at spring training camp.

Payton has one season left on the two-year, $9 million contract he signed before the 2007 season. But is there a spot on the roster for a 35-year-old who batted .256 last year?
He also adds:
"I know I'm probably not the quote-unquote favorite, but this is the fourth year I've gone into spring training as the fourth outfielder and I've gotten 400 at-bats every year," Payton said. "So I'm not going to worry about my status too much."

Manager Dave Trembley said, "I'm going to have to talk to him about what I see his role as being coming into camp. I know that he has some concern about that. We'll exchange some ideas."
Like I said, I think he should be sent on his way. Well, I have nothing against him, as some Oriole fans do, but he's an intense fellow and I'm not sure how he'll deal with the losing and riding the pine.

Pretty much, the guy has been on winning organizations his whole career, and sulks when he doesn't play -- case study: Boston; however, I think when he's motivated, he's a hell of a ballplayer -- gritty, intense and focused.

***

The Baltimore Sun is cranking out the content down in Florida, and here's some tidbits from camp:

* Jeff Zrebeic has an interesting article on Hayden Penn, and I think this year will be critical for the youngster. Granted, he's had some health issues and some bad luck; however, this is the year he'll have to take the step forward and regain some of the promise he had a few seasons ago. Considering the state of the organization, the time is surely ripe for him to an impact (I think he starts the season in Norfolk, and he's in the driver's seat from there.)

* Aubrey's hair is blonde, and he's trying to get over the death of Joe Kennedy.

* Mike Contanzo is in camp, and he's experimenting with catching.

* Hernandez is slimmer and ready to rock...

* Erik Bedard has agreed to a $7 million, one-year contract with the Seattle Mariners, avoiding arbitration with the team that acquired him last week.

* Orioles Hangout has a run-down of the 40-man roster...

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads