Saturday, February 24, 2007

Quick Hits: Early O's News and Bits from Some Old Friends...

Good morning everyone!

Well, a scary event happened in Florida yesterday, as newly acquired relief pitcher, Jamie Walker ended up with a concussion from a Nick Markakis line drive. Roch Kubtako has more on the incident and words from Nick Markakis, along with Sam Perlozzo. Also in the piece he has some bits from Paul Bako, & yesterday’s workout. The Washington Post’s Jorge Arangure also reports on the incident.

Roch Kubatko has his take of what happened via his blog.

Also, Jeff Zrebeic reports that the O’s have few, if any prospects ready for the majors. There’s also a Q&A with Val Majewski. Jorge Arangure has a piece on the Canadian influence on the Orioles, most notably, Erik Bedard, Adam Loewen, Adam Stern and Steve Green.

More on an Old Friend – Sammy Sosa: In camp, Sammy Sosa is focused only making the Rangers squad, and not the past. Here’s what he said: (quotes from the Examiner)

"I don't have to convince nobody," Sosa said Friday. "I know who I am. I have been good to this game, I will continue to be great to this game, I will continue to perform. ... I don't want to talk about whatever happened in Congress. This is not my problem. I've got to make the team." … "I just got here. Let me do my deal first and then I'll worry about the rest," he said. "I've got to take care of business. ... I'm going to go out there and do what (the Rangers) want me to do, show them what I've been doing. I'm in shape. Look, I don't have no belly."


and…


"I'm a little older. It doesn't mean I can't hit you 30 or 40 home runs," he said. "What's the deal? You think I'm dead?"… "I want to compete. Financially, I'm OK. I wanted to be here, wanted to play baseball. This is my life," he said. "I'm not coming back for 12 home runs. I'm coming back for more than that."


He also got dogged with questions about drugs and steroids. This is what he says:

"I don't want to talk about that," Sosa said. "Let's talk about baseball. Let's talk about 2007, and the talent we have in Texas, and what we can do this year."


Well, good luck Sammy on your career resurrection. Even though you didn’t help us out in Baltimore at all, be well.

More on an Old Friend – Russ Ortiz: A man who gave fans heart palpitations and plenty of reason for fans to use f-bombs, Russ Ortiz much like Sammy Sosa, is trying to come back with the Giants, the team he broke in with.

The Giants are taking a risk in signing Ortiz and hoping he can be a fifth starter.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads