Tuesday, September 11, 2007

9-11; Remembering That Day and Reflections...

Six years ago today, the America I had grown up loving and knowing changed forever.

As we all know, on Sept. 11, 2001, terrorists manned four planes, two of the hit the World Trade Center twin towers in New York City, one struck the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia and the fourth plane crashed in Central Pennsylvania and would have most likely headed to Washington D.C. and perhaps killed hundreds or thousands, if it was not for the valiant efforts of the passengers of the doomed flight.

I was in my last year of school at the University of Maryland, and I got the news in an English seminar class from one my classmates that a plane had flown to one of the Twin Towers.

I thought it was a joke or a bizarre, tragic accident.

Then the second plane struck. I knew then it was not a joke and I was truly afraid. Thereafter, we all had heard about the Pentagon, and then the fourth plane.

That day, I thought the world was coming to an end and there would be attacks all over the country. For the first time really in my life, I thought about my mortality, life and what being on this planet is all about.

Furthermore, I was working part-time for a telecommunications company in Virginia, and they did liaisons with a company in World Trade Tower Two.

They were on the 99th floor.

Those workers did not make it.

On this solemn day, let's remember those who perished, but also those brave men and women who are overseas who are risking their lives to maintain our way of life in this great country.

That day, I learned you only live once and tomorrow is nor guaranteed. Those people who lost their lives simply going to work, doing everyday things, and being productive members of society are gone because of some radicals who cannot respect and loathe our way of life here.

I learned that day we live in a sick world, and anyone who could take innocent lives in the fashion those terrorists did are cowards.

However, in the short time we have on earth, we all might as well not sweat the small stuff, treat your fellow humans with respect, and keep your friends, family close and tight.

We might have moved on as a nation and people; however, September 11th, 2001 will never be forgotten by myself or anyone who lived through it in the Washington Metropolitan region.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads