Friday, December 15, 2006

Buck O'Neill, a Reflection...


While working on my blog this evening, I was scouring ESPN.com and read that the late Buck O'Neill was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom today at the White House. Although he missed being elected to the Hall of Fame, Buck O'Neill was seen as a hero and an influential slice of baseball history by President Bush.

"Buck O'Neill lived long enough to see baseball and America change for the better," Bush said. "He's one of the people we can thank for that. Buck O'Neil was a legend and a beautiful human being and we honor the memory of Buck O'Neil."

Although Buck O'Neill never played in the majors, and was regulated to the Negro Leagues because of discrimination and prejudice, he was able to spread his influence to many and he was undeniably an encylopedia of baseball history and knowledge.

I was lucky to meet Buck O'Neill, sadly before he would die months later. I was at the All-Star Game festivities in Pittsburgh in the middle of July, and a very well dressed elderly man comes up and says hello and asks how I am doing.

I say I'm fine, while on my Blackberry.

Ten seconds later, I realize in my head who it was and I say hello back. It's Buck O'Neill.

We started talking although for about 2 minutes about baseball history and about who we are. I also got to meet his grandson and nephew (I think). I finish up by telling him thanks for everything he did and being so positive, and he politely told me, "thank you".


He could have been bitter and would have every right to be, but for the time I talked to him, I knew this was a sweet, humble man and would I have ever liked to have lunch with him and gotten to know a lot more about Mr. O'Neill.


I'm glad I got the opportunity to meet an American hero and baseball legend...


No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads