Saturday, December 30, 2006

Gerald Ford Viewing...

This evening, rather than watch some football on TV, head out to the Skins’ game or partake in bar activities, I decided to venture into Washington D.C. and view Gerald Ford’s casket on display at the rotunda of the U.S. Capitol.

I’d seen the viewing for Rosa Parks in 2005 at the same location, and the procession for the 40th president, Ronald Reagan.

Well, I waited about two hours in line to see the casket of Gerald Ford and you were in and out in about a minute, if even that. The good thing was that people from every race, group and class of society seemed to be out there and everyone had a lot to say about Gerald Ford and the occasion. The time seemed to pass by, as I was with a group of people and we chatted about everything from politics to sports.

His body lay in state in the rotunda, with members of every branch of the armed services remaining perfectly still around his casket, police directed you where to go, you moved in a line and it was pretty much over.

It was amazingly organized and there was an incredible amount of security. If you do plan to go out there, expect a long wait, with a littany of rules and regulations.

Myself, I am a big history buff and living in the Washington-Baltimore area, you see a lot go on in this part of the country that would you not see otherwise. Having the opportunity to see Gerald Ford’s casket and being part of the occasion is a once in a lifetime thing, so I am glad I took out a part of my evening to do so.

I’ll see if I can get some pictures posted in the morning, or maybe Monday, since I’ll be in and out all of Sunday.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads