Monday, August 20, 2007

Rest in Peace, "Wild" Bill...




I just got home and heard the terrible news of "Wild" Bill Hagy's passing on the Sports Talk 980 here in the Washington DC area.

Well, I am only 28, and really did not get to see him do his famous "O-R-I-O-L-E" cheer in the flesh during the glory days of the 70's and 80's; however, I eventually learned what he meant to the Baltimore community and his place in team history.

I had the opportunity to meet him in Feburary at Babe Ruth's Birthday Bash held at the Sports Legend's Museum at Camden Yards, and boy did he ever have a crowd around him.

The photo above is of him at a table during the event, as I snapped a quick photo. I spoke to him only briefly, but chatting with him was like talking to your buddy, or someone you knew.

I only got to see him do his world famous O-R-I-O-L-E-S in person at that event, but through the magic of videotape, he'll live on forever in Baltimore folklore.

"Wild" Bill was the epitomy of the word "fan" and love and devotion to his team was certainly unparalleled.

Too bad his passion is missing from the Camden Yards, and most of my generation never got to see him perform in section 34 of Memorial Stadium.

However, to be remembered for something is special within itself, and seeing the tributes online, on the Sun website and on other blogs, he brightened up a lot of lives and certainly made a small impact on those who crossed paths with him.

Thus, to have accomplished that is a wonderful thing.

Be well, Bill and rest in peace...



*thanks to garecitycanes for uploading the video onto Daily Motion for the world to see...

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads