Friday, January 19, 2007

Guilty Pleasures from the Desk of the Oriole Post...

Well, sometimes, I love to waste time when I get a chance and as well listen or watch what others say in a course of the day. So, I decided to create a “Guilty Pleasures” list. Since I am bored right now and wanted to share my thoughts, I thought I’d devise a list of things that may not be good for me, or my soul – but I can’t resist.

In no particular order:

PerezHilton.com: I don’t know the guy, but he runs one of the most alluring, yet perhaps infamous blogs out there. With several million hits per day, it’s no wonder why he’s everywhere and has become a celebrity himself. Full of pictures of with celebs (sometimes in compromising conditions) with scribble on them, along with snarky commentary, I usually don’t admit it to my friends, but I check out the site at least once a day. TMZ.com can also be included in the same breath as Perez, but he’s a lot funnier.

Anderson Cooper: Perhaps it might be the grey hair, or the ever so competent-looking anchor/journalist/celeb, or that he is who is, but I really enjoy watching his show and his reports.

Bill O’Reilly: Ok, I don’t consider myself a conservative at all, but it’s nice to see Bill talk about whatever, be full of himself and get mad over such trivial prattle.

To be quite honest, it’s sometimes funny to see.

Colin Cowherd: Some people like him, some don’t, but he’s all right with me and I find him entertaining and different from the rest of the talk-radio guys on ESPN. Always full of commentary, he tells it like it is. He’s a big college football guy, and I always look forward to hearing him in the morning.

The non-standard radio voice, the snide remarks, and the commentary -- I love it.

Snickers Bars: Sometimes I need sugar, candy takes care of the fix and Snickers are oh, so good…

American Idol: I don’t admit to my friends I watch, but I do. After this first week, after five years on the air, have people figured out if you can’t sing, why start now? I think it is a little cruel that American Idol makes fools out of people sometimes, but honestly they are delusional, need attention or just need their 15 minutes of fame. I sometime watch when the competition really begins, but the first few weeks make my winter.

Simon is the best, Randy is Randy and Paula is so whacked out, good lord.

The I-Pod: I have the player for my car, one for the office and one at home. I wear it when I bike, workout or lounge. Yeah, everyone has it, and I cannot live without mine. I have 10,000 plus songs on my portable drive, so I have to find someway to play them all.

ESPN.com/MLB.com/CNNsi.com: If I have to explain why, perhaps you might not want to keep reading this blog. It’s the ever-so-perfect way to kill it time at work.

General Tso’s Chicken from the Chinese Carry-Out: Oh so bad, but yet so good. I usually do cardio after eating it, but man, it’s good.

M&M’s: See Snicker Bars.

Anything Under Armour: Expensive, yes. Comfortable, yes. The Fabric feels great and it keeps you either warm, dry, cool or whatever.

Youtube: Always a time killer at work and at home, it’s a treasure chest for video of all types. From the sublime, to the weird and the downright scary, Youtube has opened up a world to the internet I may or may have not wanted to know existed. However, it has found me a world of content, so I am satisfied.

Hats: I have 40 of them, but seven I wear on a regular basis. Two of them are O’s caps, the one with the O’s logo on it, and the 1966 cartoon bird cap. I have been wearing a Tiger Woods cap I got from my sister for Christmas regularly.

Saved By the Bell: It’s not been recently on TV where I live or on cable at all, but, in the 90’s it was on no fewer than 4 to 8 times a day on several channels. Everyone who was a part of Generation X watched it, so they cannot lie.

From the various incarnations and shows, it was corny and bubble-gummy, but it was entertaining and food for us who grew up in the late 80’s and 90’s.

For those of you under 18, you have no idea what you missed.

Jerry Springer: A staple of TV Talk Show crap, much like Rikki Lake or Jenny Jones, it was a not miss in college. I am at work during the day, and cannot watch it, but when I am home sick or on a mental, I have a space in my heart for Jerry.

From the trailer trash to the losers of society, Jerry does an impeccable job as the moderator and then tries to explain or justify what you saw with this “Closing Thoughts”.

It’s probably the worst show in TV history, but would American culture be the same without it? We’ve made him a very rich man, by the way…

The NFL Network: Great on a lazy Saturday, you can watch big overgrown men hit each other to cheerleaders in stupid games, and Rich Eisen.

An ever so good way to kill time.

Pearl Jam: My favorite band. I’ve been with them from the first album until now. Evn though they have been widely criticized for not rocking like they used to and their erratic albums, the group has aged nicely and they are one of the most intelligent bands out there. The clip below is Pearl Jam in concert playing one of their songs, a personal fave off their latest work, Severed Hand.

VH1: Yes, it may be a waste of time and brain cells, but from shows like the Best Week Ever to Celebrity Fit Club to Breaking Bondauce, you can’t stay away.

Honorable Mention: The Shield re-runs, Keith Olbermann, Nike Shox shoes (I have 6 of them), Ebay.com & my crab boxers.

3 comments:

Tim Moore said...

nice work over here man!!
I agree with everything on this list, sans American Idol and Cowherd... i just don't like him because he reminds me of driving to school... half asleep..

I really like this blog... you need more exposure... this is some quality content.

Tim
squeeze play sports

Unknown said...

Thanks Tim! I have been at the blog over a month and I really, really enjoy doing it! If you know where I can get some exposure, let me know :)

Well, with Cowherd, you like him or hate him, and I have never heard anyone say he just "ok". He's just different from everyone else on that network, so maybe that's what draw me to him.

Idol - it's stupid fun, but makes for great water cooler and conversation if you have nothing else to talk about. It's another show that everyone watches or hears about.

If I ask who Taylor Hicks is to 10 random people, 7 out of 10 will know...

Thanks for the comments, Tim, I'll look at your blogs in a bit!

Anonymous said...

I'll let the American Idol admission slide since you said PJ's your fave, mine too.

The way the crowds go at shows these days, I've pretty much retired from going to see people live, though PJ and a select few take me out of retirement every time.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads