Thursday, January 18, 2007

Miguel Tejada: Fanning the Flames

As Baltimore Oriole fans know, last winter, Miguel Tejada wanted out of the Orioles organization as he perceived that the team was not doing enough to be competitive. In 2006, his name appeared constantly in the media as trade bait, most notably to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

However, this winter, Miguel is singing a different tune. This time he’s happy with the way things are going in Baltimore. In an interview with the Associate Press via the Baltimore Sun, he says:

“I am extremely content with the Orioles," Tejada told The Associated Press. "I don't think anymore about those things that they have to do to sign players. I am equal to the others and I am going to do my job on the field."

He also says, "I am not going to order them to make a contract with anybody, but I am the leader of the team and if I have to say something I am going to do so. I don't want to make anyone feel bad, but we all want to win and that is what we are going to try to do," he said.

I appreciate Miguel’s hard play and his frankness towards the situation here in Baltimore. To be honest, as much as the money lures those with the talent to play – almost all players who pride themselves on being professionals want to play on the biggest stage, the World Series and get a ring. As the team’s highest paid player and an All-Star numerous times, he’s earned the right to be outspoken towards the team.

It looks like he loves the game and plays 365 days a year, both in the States and throughout the Caribbean.

Even though he has been seen as a malcontent here in Baltimore, he’s the best offensive player on the team and a leader. From what I have seen, he’s been nothing but good to the fans in Baltimore, always willing to sign autographs in the park and sometimes after games.
He’s got 3 years left on his deal, and hopefully the Orioles can make him happy and put a competitive product on the field.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads