Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Quick Hits: Articles, More Oriole Ticketing Debate, and MLB Stuffage

Well, hope everyone is doing great this Wednesday, as I have been a busy man this week. I covered the Washington Nationals Caravan last night, and it was a good time out there as I got to talk with new team manager Manny Acta at length, as well as chat with radio broadcaster Charlie Slowes, and players Mike O’Connor from Elicott City, Maryland and Nook Logan.

The link to the article and accompanying pictures are here: Article Link

I have been doing team review articles at the moment, and have realized how much work entails in doing them, so bear with me. I have done the Baltimore Orioles, Washington Nationals, New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox so far, and I’ll have another up on Thursday or Friday, this time with the World Champion, St. Louis Cardinals.

More Debate on the Orioles Raising Ticket Prices: Orioles Magic’s Mike Boehm weighs on the issue and believes the team is out of line. I beg to differ, as every fan has an equitable chance to purchase tickets, and it is in a way a poor reflection on Orioles fans that we don’t support the team as we probably should, especially when Red Sox and Yankee fans come to town.

Baseball is a business and a lot of other teams around the league institute “prime” and tiered pricing. I particularly don’t find an increase of 1 to 5 dollars for ticket prices for select games a real big deal.

To be quite honest, the team probably offers more discount nights than any other via email promotions, bargain nights, student nights, the Junior Dugout Club and the Citgo ticket promotion with 4 fill-ups of gas.

MLB News:

* Aww, that’s sweet… According to an ESPN report, assuming Clemens plays for the New York Yankees this upcoming season, Cano gave up his number, 22 and will switch to No. 24. I guess they are doing whatever to get Clemens to sign and it’s a show of respect.

* The White Sox will have Scott Podsenik sit out almost 2 months of the 2007 a groin injury in which he had surgery, so they signed Darin Erstad to a 1 year deal worth 1 million dollars depending on if he passes a physical.

* Angels’ infielder Dallas McPherson underwent surgery Tuesday to remove a herniated disc in his lower back and is expected to miss all of 2007.

* Update on Bernie: According to ESPN, Jorge Posada says that Bernie Williams is not ready to retire, or play for another team. Bernie hopes to play one more year, but space, much less playing time may tight for him if he returns to the team. More: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2740803

* Brendan Donnelly agreed to a one-year, $1.4 million contract with the Red Sox, thus avoiding arbitration.

* The A’s treaded Kirk Saarloos to the Reds got the right-hander for David Shafer and each team will get a player to be named to complete the trade.

* First baseman for the Mets, Carlos Delgado, could miss a few games at the start of the regular season for the birth of his child.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for creating and maintaining this blog. Finally us out-of-town Orioles fans have a blog that summarizes all the major stories from the blogosphere in one place, and it's updated frequently, without venturing into Deadspin territory as far as language and crudeness. I appreciate your efforts and your thoughtful commentary so far, and I look forward to reading through the season. Thanks again.

Unknown said...

Conc. Citizen,

I thank you for comment. Well, I just try to be as honest as I can, since I consider myself a baseball fan, and a life-long O's fan.

In actuality, a good portion of readers are fans of other teams and all over the country.

More people read this blog than I ever thought, and I'm not trying to be a celebrity at all or gain fame or fortune. This blog is my little way of expressing myself, the way I see things and I try to be fair and down the middle with my commentary.

With Deadspin, I like it and love to read it, but I'm not trying to aim for that style.

I have found most readers of the blog to be hardcore baseball fans, so I try to cater to them.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads