Friday, January 12, 2007

My Ramblings and Quick Hits

Wondering More About an Old Friend: Washington Post writer Tom Boswell writes on the saga of Frank Robinson’s life after the Washington Nationals. As most people who have kept tabs on me know Frank is my favorite Oriole of all time and I think what he’s been through is an injustice. For man who took a franchise that was dead and neglected made them into a respectable unit and then to have the last few months happen as a result seems wrong to me.

In life, no one owes anybody anything, especially in the business world, but sometimes you have to remember those who served right. The Nationals should not be obligated to give anyone a job, for a man of Frank’s stature, something should be done. It’s more than obvious; he loves that team and wants to be a part of it, though he cannot be on the field.

Shame on Major League Baseball for not taking care of someone who bluntly, did your dirty work for many, many years.

Sorry, this is just wrong.

Rodrigo Lopez: I’m surprised he’s still with the team. I figured he might still be on the team when spring training come about, but according to the Sun, he will not be. There have been longstanding talks to trade him, and he was not dealt in the early part of the winter, for reasons I don’t know. He had a horrible year in 2006, but showed flashes of brilliance, and might be useful for someone.

Is Fenway the Best Ball Park? Maryland’s Tim Kurkjian writes about Fenway Park, and he feels that it’s the best park in baseball. In my personal opinion, I think Fenway is nothing short of a baseball cathedral, full of history, quirks, passionate fans and an aura about it that you cannot find in most other places.

I have been to Fenway Park every year for the past three to catch my Orioles play, hang out with friends in the area, and also scour the Northeast.

However, I feel that it is for my comfort is not the best – I think PNC is.

Fenway Park is probably number 3 in my list of top ball parks, but I think PNC is the best because of its almost perfect fit in Pittsburgh, the food selection, the seating, and aesthetics of the stadium in relation to the community and city. In addition, there’s so much to do there and you’ve got almost every concession in the world that’s there.

Oriole Park at Camden Yards is number two, as it is pristine as it is heading into its 15th year of operation. I appreciate its coziness, the red brick, the warehouse and the fact it tries to be a ballpark, not all things to all people with too many bells and whistles. The field is a backdrop to the beautiful brick and aesthetics of the design.

It’s got the whole working man’s feel, but yet a beauty about that impresses everyone.

I have been to 19 of the recent ballparks, and I'll justify why each park placed where it did on my list.

The List:

(1) PNC, (2) Camden Yards, (3) Fenway Park, (4) Wrigley Field, (5) Dodger Stadium, (6) Pac Bell Park, (7) Coors Field, (8) Safeco Field, (9) Petco Field, (10) Ewing Kauffman Stadium, (11) Minute Maid Field, (12) The Ballpark in Arlington, (13) Yankee Stadium, (14) Turner Field, (15) Chase Field/Bank One Ballpark, (16) Skydome, (17) RFK, (18) Metrodome, (19) Shea Stadium,

The worst of the worst ever: The Kingdome

Honorable Mention for the worst: Olympic Stadium

O’s Radio: Ray Frager opines on the O’s radio situation.

4 comments:

Rob said...

Great tribute to Fenway. It's been my lifelong quest to see a game there and hopefully this is the year.

I've been to PNC and love the place... I think I'll do a ballpark rankings of my own in the near future -- with you getting credit for the idea of course!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the love, Rob. Yeah, I'm 6'4" and I sat at Pesky's Pole the first time I ever visited Fenway (if I ever had season tickets in that area, I'd need a personal chiropractor).

A visit to Fenway - highly recommended in your life. I'll be there in May for an O's series.

I have been to PNC a few times, but I spent a week up there during the 2006 All-Star game and just fell in love with it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great list of conquests. I may be a cynical Boston fan, but Fenway isn't even in my top ten, and that is because it's too old for today's standards and because I've been there too often.

While I can understand the historical appeal, I would much rather a place like my favorite, Camden Yards. What a beautiful stadium that is modern in its design yet owes it charm to its similarities to older parks. It's the perfect marriage for a place you're going to spend $80 to go to for a ticket and more for food and beers, sitting and standing for 3 plus hours and frequenting more than a few times a season.

I need to get to PNC fast as I hear it's great. I was last in Pittsburgh for Three Rivers, so that proves how long it's been.

Also, maybe I'm not the traditionalist many of you would prefer I am, but I'm not as crazy about Wrigley as a lot of other baseball fans are. Maybe if I were paying the 1912 prices to get into Fenway (hell, I'll settle for 1991 prices at this point) it would be harder to complain.

Unknown said...

Manny/Manny: I have gotten to travel a lot due to work and my own leisure.

I'm going to do this list and have fun doing so, though I am sure I'll get quite a few objections.

For me, old ballparks carry charm, but more than anything, it's the people who also make the ballpark, and that's partly why I rated Fenway and Wrigley so high. Even as a fan, you have the appreciate the passion Red Sox and Cubs have for their team.

A lot the newer ballparks try to be all things to all people, and a lot of them have quirks/additions that are really not needed.

Sometimes simplicity is the best policy, and some of the newer ballparks missed that point.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads