Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Quick Hits... More on Cal, Following up with Old Friends and Stuffage

Being that I really had nothing better to do last night, I watched Cal’s game 2131 on MASN last night. I was 16 at the time and starting school in New York, but I was at the game before he broke his record, just by chance, as I wanted to desperately see a game around my birthday which was 2 weeks and managed to get some tickets. It was a big deal for me, as I lived more than 40 miles from Baltimore growing up and for my parents to offer to drive me was special as I only got to see the O's in person maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I just remember the environment in almost a celebratory mood at the game I attended. As a teen, I didn’t realize I was on the cusp of history, but my friends were jealous of me at the time. I could not have cared less, not because of Cal, but because I was a teenager and didn’t know better.

It was kind of magical seeing it more than 10 years later, as well in a different stage on my life and brought back some old times, and yes, I did tear up. Amazingly, now that ten years later, I now recognize the significance of that day.

I never had a direct meeting with him, and the closest I got was to him ever was snapping some pictures of him well after his playing career. However, from what I read on other forums and blogs, he was quite the honorable man you hear about.

I kind of feel bad not being able to take in the Orioles more in my heart when I was younger...

Here are some more Cal links:

News on Some Old Friends…

  • Former Oriole catcher signed with Colorado Javy Lopez for one year, $750,000.
  • Always good to go home again: The infamous Russ Ortiz re-signed with San Francisco for one year, $380,000. He’ll be a reserve or 5th starter, and hopefully returning to the Giants, he can reclaim his career. How a pitcher got to be so bad, I don’t know, but he’s young enough where he could perhaps right the ship. Russ was nothing short of historically bad with the Orioles, and no emotions were spared when he was not re-signed here in Baltimore.

Stuffage:

  • Right-handers Jason Frasor and John Thomson agreed to one-year contracts with the Blue Jays on Tuesday.
  • Injury Wire: St. Louis Cardinals center fielder Jim Edmonds had surgery Tuesday to correct a foot ailment that led him to have a daily numbing injection during the postseason. Always one of my favorite players to watch, he should be ready for the ’07 season.
  • Injury Wire: According to his agent, Ken Griffey’s left hand (currently broken) should be fully healed before the Reds start spring training next month.

Finally: I just think the photograph on the top of this post is just beautiful …

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads