Saturday, January 13, 2007

Purple Haze

As we all know, the Indianapolis Colts and Baltimore Ravens played today at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. Being that I am close to Washington D.C. and grew up with the Redskins, I had no connection to the Colts at all & this week much of the Baltimore media has focused on the events of 1984 and the Irsay family.

It was a long day, but an amazing one to behold.

Out of curiosity, I asked a few of my fellow tailgaters why so many Baltimore citizens were still upset at the Indianapolis Colts organization.

I learned something new. The issues for many go beyond the move of the team.

In recent days, Baltimore Sun reporters Roch Kutbako, Rick Mease, and Dan Rodricks have tapped into their own anger as well as the residents of Baltimore and the outlying area towards the Irsay family.

In the Pro Football Hall of Hame in Canton, Ohio, I learned that the records and accomplishments of what happened in Baltimore are credited to Indianapolis. Much of records involving Johnny Unitas and other Colts are attributed to Indianapolis. The Super Bowl Trophy, etc. are held with the Colts.

That’s ridiculous.

When I visited the Sports Legends museum a while back, I wondered why there were not more Baltimore Colt items. I guess my question was answered today.

My typical response until today was Baltimore in way needs to get over the events of 23 years ago, but learning about the passion Baltimore had for its Colts and the deeds of Irsay, I would be pissed and I would not blame anyone for their disdain.

I saw numerous people touch Johnny Unitas’ statue in front of M&T Stadium and realized ever after 23 years, Baltimore’s love of its sports heroes and the past have never died. Even though Baltimore has a fine team with the Ravens, a lot of people still have a very, very soft spot for Unitas and the Colts.

To be blunt, the records and history of the Baltimore Colts should be with the city of Baltimore. When the two Washington Senator teams moved from the 60’s and 70’s, those teams started their own tradition and renamed their teams. When Art Modell moved the Cleveland Browns to Baltimore, he left the Browns history back in Cleveland and started anew with Baltimore.

Well, enough of the negative, let’s move onto the positive.

I took in the ambiance of Baltimore and saw a sea of purple, which was all over the downtown area. For me to see that and take it in is a beautiful thing. Baltimore is a proud city of people, and that is evident more than ever with the Ravens playoff run and the outpouring of support from the city.

With the Orioles being down and out right now, most of the Baltimore sports scene was focused on the game. Hanging out my tailgate buddies, sports is beautiful and bring people from all walks of life together to root for a common cause and if it makes everyone happy for one day, then we are all better for it.

Too bad the Ravens lost. I pretty much predicted a victory, but the Colts had very good ball movement and the kicker, Adam Viniateri was money. The Ravens showed flashes of brilliance, but the offense was just inefficient and they got stunned by Indianapolis.

A fine season by the Ravens, but it will be a long off-season for everyone considering the way the season ended.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads