Saturday, January 20, 2007

My Favorite Current Ballplayers: From the Desk of the Oriole Post

As I have played the game and also been a life long fan, there have been a lot of players I have been able to see and enjoy. Today, since I just got home and worked out, I decided to a top 10 list of players I enjoy seeing.

You have a few superstars, up-&-comers and one everyday player, but these are the guys I enjoy seeing and I think represent what the game should be in my mind.

Some play in the NL, some in the AL, and some for the enemy (see, Yankees, New York and Red Sox, Boston), but nevertheless, seeing these guys makes the game worthwhile.

David Eckstein: He looks like an undersized college student, but he’s small in stature; however, big in heart. Although he will most likely never get into the Hall of Fame, all of his intangibles have helped two teams, the Angels and Cardinals in the fast few years win a World Series.

Fans love him because he plays the game the right way and full of desire. He’s my favorite for the aforementioned reason, but more importantly, he gives all the average size kids hope they don’t have to the size of Ryan Howard to make it to the majors.

I’m nearly a foot taller than he, and I can’t play the game like he does. I find him just amazing. The most incredible play I saw him make was actually at bat in Washington two years, as he positioned his bat like he was going to bunt, but suddenly pulled his bat back and hit a homer.

From a guy listed at 5’7”. Wow. The video is from TNA wrestling, as I could not find a decent video of him, but it’s cool…




Derek Jeter: I dislike the Yankees with a passion, but Jeter is one of my favorite players to watch. He always money and seems to destroy my Orioles, but he’s got great athleticism and he’s the definition of clutchiness (I have no idea if it’s a word, but whatever).

Like I said, I may hate the Yankees, but I respect their team and a lot of their players. Jeter seems to be a good guy and actually uses his fame for good, unlike a lot of players out there.




David Ortz: Big Papi. He always seems to enjoy the game, attention and has fun out there. He hits the ball a mile and he’s always jolly. Anyhow, he’s just amazing to watch and if you have seen him in batting practice, you know what I mean. I can’t remember a player who seems to the big hit at the critical point of a game as effective and dramatic as Ortiz. I’m not a huge Red Sox fan, but it’s always a pleasure to see him play.



Dontrelle Willis: The leg kick, the delivery. He’s got charisma, flair and seems to enjoy himself on the mound. I have only seen him pitch twice in person, but he’s good for the game and real good with fans.

Ryan Zimmerman: He’s going to be the next big thing, and he’s also been money in quite a few clutch situations. Although the team is not going to be much good in 2007, he’ll be a player to watch.

Ryan Howard: He’s a big man. He crushes the ball a mile too, and although he really doesn’t put up a show during batting practice, during the game it’s another story. Too a great guy, the sky seems to be the limit for him after the damage he did in only his second season.



Ichiro Suzuki: It must be his stance, and his methodical approach to hitting, but I love to analyze his at-bats and see how he does each time he’s up at bat.



Torii Hunter: He’s like the human highlight film and is a great ballplayer. Though his numbers have declined somewhat, he’s a superman in the outfield and has made more catches that are amazing than any other player I have seen recently. He’s good with the fans and also one the great representatives of the sport of baseball.



Joe Mauer: One of the rising stars in the game, for much like the same reason I enjoy Ichiro, he’s amazing to watch at the plate and will join the superstar stratosphere, sooner rather than later.



Trevor Hoffman: Spending some time in San Diego and catching them in Washington, I got see a little of the greatness of Trevor Hoffman. Although he is not what he once was, he’s effective and it’s amazing to see how his pitches dazzle and fool batters. A Hall of Famer for sure, it’s always a treat to see him.

Honorable Mention: Jose Reyes, Albert Pujols, Grady Sizemore, Johan Santana, Andruw Jones, John Smoltz, Pedro Martinez, & Ken Griffey Jr.

2 comments:

GM-Carson said...

Ryan Howard is the Grand Master Pimp of all MLB. I too like most of the players on your list except for the god-awful inclusion of Derek Jeter...gag me!

chuckm said...

Nice list except for that Bible-banging bigot John Smoltz. Good luck to the O's.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads