Thursday, January 4, 2007

More Cal Ripken Love...


Fellow blogger, Aaron Brazell of Suicide Fan has a clip on his site as to why Cal Ripken should be in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. Take a visit to his great site and you'll fing the link to the audio file there, plus other awesome sports related posts.

It's a foregone conclusion that he should be in the Hall of Fame. He's an icon, but the numbers didn't impress me as much as his willingness to go to work, play through pain and whatever else because he loved what he did for a living. More importantly to me, he was the epitome of professionalism, sportsmanship and integrity.

Myself, I cannot say I even like my job and I'm sure millions of others can say the same.

I have no idea if I'll be going to Cooperstown for Ripken's induction, because I didn't think about going to it before I started my blog. Anyhow, it will be a decision made later this spring, not because of funds, but more on the logisitics side as I would need to find lodging, much less a place to view the induction (ok, I would literally have to camp out), traffic issues and parking. If I do go, I'll probably drive up and stay with friends in NYC or find some other arrangement outside the immediate area of Cooperstown.

I'm sure a ton of fans will be there, and I'd love to interact and mingle. However, I don't know at this point if it would be worth it for me to go, or to watch it on TV.

If anyone is planning to go, or has been to a Hall of Fame induction, what's to be expected?

Either leave a comment on the blog, or email me at mdguy2415@aol.com.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Anthony. I didn't have time in the show to get into other Ripken accomplishments, such as being selected for the All Star Team 19 times, playing in 16 of those and being the All Star MVP twice, MLB MVP twice and AL Rookie of the Year in 1982. Plus he was a 2 time gold glove winner. He deserves every vote that would put him in the Hall.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, he's in the Hall for his numbers, but I was trying to make the point that he was a man who in put in a Hard Day's work and did the best he could. Too many of us, myself included don't live up to the virtues of Ripken, and that's what I found admirable about Cal, moreso than his numbers.

I'd say he had some great individual seasons and some subpar ones, but his longevity and his re-definition of the position (especially the advent of Jeter, Nomar & A-Rod) get him into the Hall...

BTW, I got your email and have addressed it.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads