Monday, January 15, 2007

Quick Hits: Oriole Radio Situation, Ramblings and This and That...


More Behind the Switch from WBAL to WHFS: Childs Walker of the Baltimore Sun gives readers some more insight behind the move of the Orioles game broadcasts from WBAL to WHFS. Well, WBAL is taking issue with the Orioles over the move because they contend that they offered more money to the team; as well, they assert the Oriole wanted more editorial control over the team and they were not happy with some of on air talent at WBAL.

This situation isn’t new, as the Redskins in Washington D.C. have been greatly criticized for operating their network, programming and closing some of the media out. I can understand completely why the Orioles did this, which was the strengthen their product; however, I listen to WBAL once in a while, & granted although at the times the criticism of the team may have been rough from certain people, it was needed and it also echoes the sentiment of a lot of O’s fans.

The Oriole contend the change was to get games onto FM, which does provide a much, much clearer, stronger broadcast than AM, but because the FM signal is weaker, the broadcasts can only be heard in the immediate DC/Baltimore area, unlike AM which has a stronger signal and can be heard in an extended region. As well, the Orioles did want to expand their broadcast options and integrate more their content in rather than using a second party.

I’m sure the change will be good in the long run, for fans and the team, but I will miss Orioles’ coverage on WBAL.


Not cool: I predicted the Patriots would win over the chargers, but L.T. (LaDainian Tomlinson) was not happy with the post-game celebration.

Take a look at the article & accompanying video from Boston.com. Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/01/15/celebration_was_not_a_hit_with_tomlinson//15/celebration_was_not_a_hit_with_tomlinson/

I like both Brady and LT, and the two men are class acts. However, I agree with L.T.’s sentiments, as players need to be professionals, and most notably respect the opponent – plain and simple.

Next week should be great, as Peyton and Brady go into a show down.

I’m still not betting against Brady.

Going for America’s Team: Bears and Saints next week in Chicago – I’m going with the Saints. Winning it all would do wonders in the collective mind of the city, after going through so much.

Want to see my Fastball? Well, I have only been blogging for a short while, but I have taken a job with 451 Press and will be administering their blog, Fastballfans.com.

So, I’ll be in front a computer more than I have been and reading more too, but it’s all in good fun plus love of the game!

I’ll be doing general baseball news and covering the entire league, but you’ll see some my essays from the Oriole Post on there along with other goodies. It’ll be a lot of work trying to build it up, but I hope to do my best.

As well, I will maintain the Oriole Post as usual, and try make it evolve as well.

This and That: This week, I am going to go through my ball park list and go through each one and explain why it was placed where it did. I factored in the ball experience & aesthetics, price, parking, atmosphere, neighborhood and fan interaction (which for me, is very important).
As well, I’m going to go through Oriole projections and try my best to go over each player, maybe one player per day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hate to disagree with you MD O's Fan, but the Pats celebrating was just that, celebrating a close victory against the NFL's best team, in a tight game. What did Chicago do when they won? Celebrated. What would SD have done if they hit that field goal? Celebrated, then done it again if they won in OT. LT is one of the NFL's best and I like him a lot because of the way he plays, but he lost some of my respect for the things he said and the way HE acted--he didn't shake hands at the end of the game.

It's possible that this wasn't seen my the nation, but there was a lot of trash talk from SD all week, not showing NE any respect. Merriman was on at halftime with the Pats up 17-10 on the Jets, saying that the Jets would win because they've held NE's offense--hello, 17 points?

Look, I'm aware this could be the fan coming out of me, and that's fine, but the way the Patriots celebrated at the end of the game pales in comparison to the way the Chargers carry themselves. They were a great team, the best, but even they were a little too confident.

Shawne Merriman did his little Steriod-induced sack dance after he HURRIES Tom Brady--no sack, no hurry that led to an INT or fumble--and Brady threw an incomplete pass? Come on, that's classless. Though he probably figured that he wouldn't get a chance to do a "real" sack dance.

Bottom line, we see teams cheer all the time. The Patriots kept their mouths shut all week and all game--did you happen to notice all the unneccessary roughness and unsportsman like conduct from SD?--and when it was over, they celebrated a tight contest.

I say it every time a pitcher bitches about a batter hitting a home run and watching it sail, a group of players celebrating a goal a little too long, or an extra TD in a game that may not have been necessary: you don't like it, put a stop to it. LT was frustrated that he carried that offense on his back and his idiot coach threw it away.

Sorry for the long comment, no disrespect towards your opinions, honestly, just wanted to get mine out there. You're doing a great job on this site, I wouldn't be pissed you if decided to celebrate a little.

Unknown said...

Wow. Sorry, if I touched a nerve there.

I took a look at it all again, and perhaps LT did seriously overreact and maybe the Pats were just happy to have won against a tough team. I thought the celebration may have been overdone, so I might have been sucked in by the hype.

I did not really know there was trash talk building up to game (we here were too induced by the Colts/Ravens).

I guess this incident harked back in my mind to when Terrell Owens spiked the star of the Dallas helmet a few years back and hell broke loose.

You're right though, as I see things from your point...

Anthony

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads