Friday, March 21, 2008

Roberts Hot & Bothered With Trade Talks?

Brian Roberts bothered by trade talks? Wow, you don't say?

I think this has been pretty obvious for, um, since week as he talked with USA Today.

In article in the Baltimore Sun, Roberts confirmed the obvious --- he's bothered by the talks --- thus, in my opinion, I would not blame him one bit.

Granted, I should not have sympathy for a guy making $8 million per year: however, he's a human being and certainly not a machine without thought.

"At some point in your career, your name is going to be thrown out there in trades and it's going to create some uncertainty," Roberts said before the Orioles' 7-4 loss today to the St. Louis Cardinals. "But, no, I didn't expect this to go all the way through spring training. It's not something that I'd want to go through every year, that's for sure."


As well...

"When you're talking about your life circumstances, yeah, it's tough not to think about it," said Roberts, who went 0-for-4 today and hit into two double plays, his spring average dropping to .293. "I'm trying to block it out the best I can. But that's tough when everybody wants to talk about it. It's frustrating at times. And times, you say, 'It's out of my control.' Most of the time, that's how I look at it. I'm here for a reason right now and I'll make the best of every day, but there comes a time where you'd like to know what's going on."


Look, we all know that baseball is a business -- a huge on that generated revenue to the tune of $6 billion; however, you do have to feel for Roberts.

He's more valuable now as a pawn and a commodity rather than a member of the Orioles.

With about eight days remaining before the 2008 season, it is looking more and more likely that he'll be an Oriole. I was almost sure that he'd be a goner by week'd end, but again, it looks like there's a snag -- after three or four months of talking.

In my eyes, this deal needs to be done for the sake of the future of the Baltimore franchise.

Roberts has the chance to play for a contender with one of the amazing franchises in sports, and the Orioles simply need to improve and get as much talent as they can for the future.

MacPhail's hand should not be forced; however, something needs to happen sooner or later.

No comments:

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads