Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Ides of Pete Rose - The Admission

Well, this topic was touched on the “Hits Keeping Coming” Radio Show last night, but I missed posting about it since I was too busy planning for the radio show, plus dealing with my every day.

All-time hits header, Pete Rose mentioned later on the radio yesterday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team. That admission would be in line with that the Dowd Report said, as well as investigations done.

He spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio’s the “Dan Patrick Show” to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame; however, his admission seemed to just come out of the blue during the show.

Soundclip: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498#

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game." (ESPN)

Well, my thoughts of the admission is that I knew that he was indeed guilty his indiscretions, and all he had to do was simply confess and take his lumps for a few years and he’d be in the Hall of Fame.

The man had an addiction, I believe, but in all honesty, he was a professional and should have known better to gamble.

Furthermore, he gambled on his own team, much less once he was managing!

In the case of Pete Rose, the cover-up was worse than the crime (although Rose’s crime was downright serious to begin with and compromised the integrity of the game).

America is a pretty forgiving society if you’re a celebrity, and unless you committed murder or pedophilia, you are more than likely to be absolved of your sins and move on.

With the admission from Pete yesterday, his Hall of Fame candidacy is all but done. If he ever gets in the Hall, it will be either on his death bed or after he’s left the earth.

1 comment:

RJ said...

You're out, Pete!!!
Pete Rose has no place in baseball...period...Yeah Pete, you are missing out on a boat load on Hall of Fame money and endorsements..Uhhh, your fault! My advice is to get treatment for your addiction(s), because we know you are still gambling on something somewhere. Put baseball behind you, since baseball is surely viewing your recent comments from their rear view mirror.

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads