Saturday, March 3, 2007

Post -- If I Ran... The Baltimore Orioles

I wrote a post on the blog, 'If I Ran' about if I could run the Baltimore Orioles and what I'd change.

Take a read and let me know what you think...

If anyone has been under a rock, the sporting world knows the Baltimore Orioles have not been hot, for let’s stay the last decade. That being said, I obviously do not have the funds to purchase the Baltimore Orioles, but since we all have an imagination, I’ll tell the world what I’d do if I ran the team.

As a Marylander, all of is long for the days of the mid 1960’s to mid 1980’s where we were the embodiment of what a franchise should be – one where winning and values are instilled and one fans should be proud of.

It’s disheartening to see Camden Yards, a crown jewel of the sport to only sell out that this point for Opening Day and games against the Yankees or Red Sox (where their fans not only take over the park, but downtown).

In light of the gloom and doom of the last decade, things are perhaps starting to look up.

That being said, I’ll commence.

Peter Angelos: He may or may not be the victim of unfair press and the ire of fans, but when you own something, whether you like it or not – you’re captain of the ship.

Mr. Angelos does not swing the bat or throw a ball, but his management style, meddling in deals in the past, plus the endless series of hirings and firings of people in key positions have turned many people off.

When you have people protesting your ownership (protest hosted the radio station WNST), you’ve got problems.

In the AL East, the Orioles have been a perennial doormat, and yet from the outside looking in (with exception of this offseason), the funds have not been spent since the turn of the decade for talent or key pieces (exception: Miguel Tejada).

The result: Fourth place again and again.

Peter, I don’t know if you selling the team is the answer (it very well might be), but you should just be paid to stay away or perhaps loosen the reigns of control.

The road uniforms: The city name, Baltimore, needs to be back on the away jersey. We are one of two teams who do not do it, and frankly, although it is a small issue, it’s an issue of regional identity and pride.

In addition, I think ‘Baltimore’ in the classic lettering and script looks better than simply ‘Orioles’. The move would be one of great civic pride, and get the links to the past rekindled to the days of Frank, Jim, Boog and Brooks.

Bring Back the Old-Timers: Personally, the Orioles do not do enough to embrace its past. The Orioles did not officially do anything in terms of celebrating the 40th anniversary of its first world championship and that was a little disturbing to me. In these lean years, the team should be reaching out to the old stars of the pennant winning teams and as well of the 80’s and 90’s and make them a part of what’s going on. The Yankees and Red Sox relish in their past with old-timer day and special celebrations – the team needs to do the same.

Acquire another big slugger, or two, plus a solid pitcher: Unlike the past, where the team didn’t do much, 2007 has brought some promise, but we still need a big bat and another starting pitcher.

We play in the American League East, and to be quite honest, we are not at the level of the elite. We’ll need to spend a few more bucks to bring in the marquee pitcher or hitter, and in turn, that may bring the fan back and create a buzz unparalleled in baseball.

According to reports I have read, we tried to get Andy Pettitte, Jason Schmidt and Carlos Lee (Lee, I can live without); therefore, try and try harder.

Don’t Sign Re-treads: Kevin Millar, Jay Payton, Jaret Wright – all good players and probably nice people; however, the Orioles should be in it all to win, not to make sure guys have jobs or field a team. See previous statement.

Mike Flanagan: Nice guy, but probably should not be in a front office position.

Other Pieces of Advice:

* Ok, it’s too late, but make a peace offering to John Miller, or offer him a lot of money to come back. (Well, I think the team imploded the bridge, but it’s worth a shot.)

* Retire Elrod Hendrick’s number 44. For a man who served the team for 5 decades, served and lived in the community, this act should be given.

* Ushers, you all really need to lighten up…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lost me from the moment you said, "As a Marylander." That implies that every fan in the state of Maryland is--or should be--a Baltimore Orioles fan. This lifelong Silver Spring, MD resident and die-hard Nats fan disagrees with this assertion.

That being said, many of your assertions are good. The biggest problem with retiring Elrod Hendricks' number is that many people would insist that Cal Ripken, Sr.'s number be retired too. Retire them both.

And while we are on the subject of retired numbers, it is embarrassing that the Orioles are the ONLY team in Major League Baseball that refuses to retire "42" in the same manner as their own players. (The Yankees may not have "42" in Monument Park, but that is only because Mariano Rivero is wearing it.) There is NO EXCUSE for not erecting a "42" monumment in Eutah Street.

My only other suggestion is this. Let the general manager do their job. The way Peter Angelos micromanages things, it does not matter whether Mike Flannagan, the late Sid Thrift, or Branch Rickey is manager. Give them enough leeway to do their job and THEN if results are not apparent in a couple of years, you can fire them.

Unknown said...

Ed, thanks for your post.

The 'Marylander' mention was an oversight and in hindsight, I'd think of the correlation until noe, and as I consider the Nats my favorite NL team - it was not meant to offend.

I'll modify that.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. It's not you, but there are baseball fans in Montgomery and Prince George's County who would not dream of rooting for the Ravens over the Redskins, the Lakers over the Wizards, or the Flyers over the Capitals. Yet in spite of what has happened the past few years, they are still Baltimore Orioles fans and would rather drive 40 miles to see a team in another city than their own team a mere Metro ride away.

Normally, I would just be annoyed by such fans. Peter Angelos made it far worse. This man single-handedly curdled any affection I once had for the black and orange. One day Orioles and Nats fans may reconcile, but it will have to be under a different owner.

Is there any bright spot for the O's? Well, Angelos is in his seventies, which means he will die in a decade or two. Although he has stated he wants his kids to inherit the team, somehow I doubt we will see his son try to become Baltimore's Jim Irsay. The team will be sold to a local owner with money, the brains, the vision, and the humility needed to restore the Orioles back to their glory years.

Another suggestion the Orioles might want to consider, but many Orioles fans might not like is this---switch leagues. Would it be worth it to sacrifice tradition and the guaranteed sell-outs of Yankee/Red Sox games to play in the more competitive National League?

Anyway, best of luck. Once upon a time, the Nationals beat a team that later became famous for their black and orange uniforms in the World Series. One day, I'd like to see history repeat itself...

Unknown said...

Eddie,

Thanks for the insight. I am Montgomery County guy myself living in Silver Spring too, and trust me I am the last Orioles fan left in my area. My little brother is a Nats' fan, and most of my friends in DC ask why I still bother with the Orioles.

I grew up with the O's (I'm 28), so that's all I knew until the Nats came to town. I'll don my blue curly W cap once in a while, and catch games in DC (the first year, I think I went 15 games) and therefore like 10-12 games in '06.

I personally think both fan bases could have co-existed peacefully if it were not for Angelos and his insistence on having things his way.

The O's have lost a generation of fans, and there's little chance now that he'll get them back.

I don't see the Angelos family holding onto the team once Peter passes, the sons will want the money and will sell the team to hopefully someone local.

I'll say doing some work blogging about the Nats, their organization has been nothing short of friendly open to the new media, and seem to be really be trying to get the fans into the team, unlike the Orioles who may be in a way taking the fans for granted.

Ed, thanks for the input!

Proud Partner: Ticket Network

We have top views at Orioles, games, plus a loaded NFL, schedule. Check these tix to Dallas Cowboys, Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, New England Patriots and Denver Broncos.

Proud Partner - Crisp Ads

CrispAds Blog Ads